Random House has started a new site called Suvudu that is their answer to Baen’s Free Sci-Fi Library. They’re giving away the first book of 5 science fiction and fantasy series to get you hooked.
The scramble for user attention has started. We’re going to see more and more of ‘free kindle books’ and ‘free first books’ and ‘buy one, get one free’ in the coming days until the industry has migrated to this ‘shareware/trialware’ model completely.
You can get 4 of those books at the Kindle Store -
- His Majesty’s Dragon by Naomi Novik. First book in the Temeraire Series. 4.5 stars and very good reviews.
- Assassin’s Apprentice by Robin Hobbs. Also very good reviews and 4.5 stars. Book 1 of the FarSeer Trilogy.
- Blood Engines by T. A. Pratt.
- Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson. First part of the Blind Geometer Trilogy.
- In at the Death by Harry TurtleDove - From the Settling Accounts Series.
Random House say that they will be building up a libary of free first books of various science fiction and fantasy series at www.suvudu.com and that Terry Brooks’s Magic Kingdom for Sale—Sold!, and Elizabeth Moon’s Trading in Danger are other free sci-fi books that’ll be added soon.
In addition to these, you can check out -
- Free Sci-Fi books from Baen at the Baen Free Library. It includes well established sci-fi authors like Larry Niven, David Weber, and John Ringo.
- Free Science Fiction Books at the Kindle Store – 86 free books including a lot of Jules Verne and H. G. Wells.
What does all of this mean?
Simply that more and more publishers and authors will be handing out free books to capture your attention and that owning a Kindle 2 is a good thing.