This Kindle Google Free Books Guide will help you convert Free Google Books (both ePub and PDF formats) and read them on your Kindle (1, 2 or DX).
IMPORTANT: Also want new free kindle books? SUBSCRIBE NOW! Free Kindle Book Emails with 100+ free kindle books every day. Hand-curated.
- Free Google Books are available in PDF and ePub. You can convert either for Kindle use.
- Advertising it as a major Sony advantage is disingenuous since they can be read on the Kindle. Rather easily.
The big thing to note is that free books in the Kindle Store, Gutenberg and ManyBooks include some of the best public domain books already.
Plus they’re in Kindle format to begin with (or MobiPocket, which is compatible). Start with those three sites, and then add on from Google Books.
Find Free ePub Google Books and Convert to Kindle Format
Here’s the video walk-through – [wpvideo fZ9y0dtE]
And the Google books in epub to kindle format conversion details –
Part 1: The smart way to find free ePub books from Google.
There’s a possibility you run into problems activating the Sony eReader software even though I don’t recall having to enter any secret codes to get it to work. Let me know if you do.
- Download the eBook Library Software from Sony.
- Register for an account at the Sony eBook Store.
- Fire up the software and select eBook Store on the left hand side.
- Then click on the Google Books ad on the right column on the main page of the Ebook Store.
- Search through and find the book you want.
- Click on it to go to the book page, and then select ‘Download Now: Free’.
- You’ll get a notification saying the book is downloaded and you’re ready to go to Part 2.
This book will get saved (in Windows) in your Documents > My Books > eBook Library Folder. It will be in ePub Format. Now comes the conversion to Kindle format.
Part 2: Converting ePub books to Kindle format using Calibre.
- Download Calibre.
- Start It and choose Amazon, then either Kindle 1/2 or Kindle DX as your device.
- At the top click on ‘Add Books’ and then navigate to Documents > My Books > eBook Library.
- Select the ebook(s) downloaded from Sony.
- The ebooks get added.
- Now Right Click and select Convert eBooks and ‘Convert Individually’ or ‘Bulk Convert’.
- If you like, change the metadata etc.
- Make sure the output format in the top right hand corner is ‘Mobi’ – that’s a kindle compatible format.
- Select OK at the bottom right. Then you’ll see the hourglass in the bottom right of the Calibre main screen rotate.
- Wait till it stops. Now, right click on the ebook you converted, Selected ‘Send To Device’ and then ‘Send to Main Memory’.
- Wait a minute or so. Then disconnect your Kindle and the converted Google Book should show up on the Home Page.
- You’re set.
Voila! Amillion Google Free Books on your Kindle.
Find Free PDF Google Books and convert for Kindle
Here’s the video walkthrough – [wpvideo 41EWDpYR]
And google free pdf books to kindle conversion details –
Part 1: Find Free Google Books in PDF Format
The slightly annoying way to find free books –
- Go to this ‘Google Books Advanced Search’ Page.
- Select ‘Full View Only’ out of the Search options, and ‘Books’ for content.
- Select 100 results in the drop down.
- Press the ‘Google Search’ button to get a list of books.
- When possible, choose the books that show a published date before 1923 (the current copyright date for passing into public domain).
- If the book is downloadable there will be a little download link on the top right, with a down arrow.
- Select ePub or PDFand save the book – ideally in your Documents > My Books folder.
Note: Trying to limit search to just books published before 1923 doesn’t really work. If you can get it to work, let us know.
Part 2: Convert Free Google Books in PDF Format into Kindle Format.
If you downloaded the ePub version look at Part 2 above (of converting epub files) to convert using Calibre.
If you downloaded the PDF version, you can still use Calibre to convert into kindle format – However, it doesn’t always work due to some image related issues.
Also, the Kindle DX will NOT read some PDF free google books correctly (again, the same image related issues).
Which brings us to another conversion option.
An alternative way that works (supposedly always) to view PDF versions of Free Google Books (as found in June by Elaine) is –
I’ve learned the fix!! I called Kindle support (which was awesome btw) and they suggested emailing the google book PDF file to my free.kindle.com email address. I did and minutes later received back a file, which I copied via USB and the images display PERFECTLY
Note: Paid conversions will work for Kindle 1 and 2. They will NOT work for Kindle DX. The free.kindle.com is the only way to get PDFs converted for your Kindle DX.
Amazon converts Free Google Books into PDF format for you correctly.
This guide should have now given you access to over a million free google books on your Kindle. Questions and Comments are welcome.