Just finished coding a Kindle Start Page Tool. It’s at bookmonk.com/home .
A long time back a comment on this blog had talked about this -
- Rename a html file to .txt.
- Put it in the Kindle documents folder.
- Open it up and the links work.
Its much more convenient than having to browse to experimental and then firing up the browser. It also lets you change bookmarks easily and quickly as a .txt file is easier to work with.
At bookmonk.com/home you can -
- Choose out of 3 example start pages.
- Customize these (the simple option) to keep links that you want.
- Create a Custom Start Page (the not as simple option) to add your own links in each category, change the design and so forth.
It ought to be accessible from the Kindle itself. Let me know if -
- Access works.
- (On the Kindle’s browser) Clicking on the Start Page link lets you save the .txt file to your documents folder.
Is it worth it?
Quite frankly I don’t know.
- Being able to use it from the Kindle (if that does work) makes it convenient.
- Not having to do Menu > Experimental > Browser etc. is good.
- It also uses mobile versions of the sites.
Things to keep in mind
- If you navigate to the actual saved .txt start page on bookmonk via IE the formatting is off. It will be alright on the Kindle though.
- It ought to work via the Kindle’s browser. Please let me know if it doesn’t.
- You MUST save the file in windows by choosing All Files instead of HTML, and then choosing a name within quotes and with a .txt extension – “yourname.txt”.
- The Amazon and Kindle Store links have my associate ID.
- You can edit these .txt files in any editor.
- The files that are created are stored on bookmonk – however, they are not guaranteed to stay there. If someone chooses the same name, they will get deleted.
- Have a few ideas (sorting, persistent files, editing files) that will only be pursued if these is some amount of interest in the feature.
- If there’s a good mobile site you’d like to add (and that is not your own) please leave a comment.
- All Rights are Reserved on the Code.
When working with Custom Start Page Maker -
- Choosing ‘No Headers’ will remove the ‘News’, ‘Search’, etc. headers.
- Choosing ‘1 link per line’ option will change the design to have a single link per line.
- For custom pages i.e. pages you enter -
For a website entering www.espn.com or sports.yahoo.com works. No need for the http:// and entering that will break links.
A title is necessary otherwise your custom links will not show up.
Will there be Future Work on this?
If there’s interest, yes. Not otherwise.
Can’t figure out how to work it
Here’s a video –
Filed under: extensions