Have been looking over some posts that have gotten a lot of love and decided to enhance them. So we have –
- Top 100 Public Domain Books in the Kindle Store post enhanced to Top 200 Bestselling Public Domain Books. There are a lot of gems in there and the list is definitely worth a look.
- Electronic Book Reader landscape post enhanced with videos and updated with refurbished kindle 1, 2 and dx.
If there are any other posts you’d like enhanced leave a comment. Ditto if there’s some topic you’d like a post on. There was a request to look at top blogs – Perhaps down the line.
Thoughts on Public Domain Books
Just random thoughts –
- Is there any other line of work that affords immortality like writing does? Perhaps science. There are very few musicians or sportsmen or actors or entertainers we remember after a few generations – yet authors and poets live on forever.
- It’s sad to see hardly any poetry books the Bestsellers list.
- What percentage of people downloading a free public domain book actually finish it?
- It’s unfortunate that all public domain books are missing their covers.
- Amazon’s Search Inside feature might mean they have a pretty huge library of scanned books.
- Public domain books are hard to search for.
- Amazon only exposes sales velocity in its API.
- The sales rank fluctuates a lot – just refreshing the screen will sometimes change the rank from 1,730 to 1,590.
Kindle as Library as opposed to eBook Reader
The popularity of public domain titles makes me wonder whether a lot of people are adding books to their library as opposed to downloading books to read.
Would you prefer –
- Having 1,000 books on your Kindle and the feeling of having an ebook library. OR
- Having just the 5-6 books on your Reading List.
Amazon obviously prefers the latter and it explains their reluctance to add Folders. In fact, Amazon want their Cloud to be your Library. It would not be a surprise if Amazon offered a feature to set up Folders in the cloud.
Filed under: free books