Amazon have sent out a new update for both Kindle 2 and Kindle DX.
What’s in Update 2.3.3?
Andrys at Kindle World describes it as a maintenance update –
The “v2.3.2″ and “v2.3.3″ updates would be “maintenance” updates or refinements to make the recent v2.3 update work a bit better, after feedback from customers and what they find themselves …
All right, having downloaded the file, I see that the awake-process takes less time with less of that spinning thing at the top left. It seems more responsive again when starting out and in general.
At the Kindle Forum there are varying reports on what improvements and fixes there are (remember this is all guess-work and not official) –
- Fixes for the Kindle DX.
- Faster deletes.
- Faster going in and out of sleep mode.
- More precise moves of the 5-way cursor.
- 3 separate people find the font is Darker.
What improved on my Kindle
The font is definitely darker – think they bolded it by default.
It’s quicker to jump into a book and jump out. It’s quicker to go into and get out of sleep mode. The cursor seems to move a bit faster.
Measuring with a stop watch (Black Powder War by Naomi Novik) my Kindle clocked 11 page turns in 6.6 seconds – Unfortunately haven’t measured page turns in the past so don’t know if there’s an improvement and to what extent.
Overall a very useful little update.
How can you update your Kindle?
If you don’t want to wait for the wireless update you can just head over to the Kindle Update page at Amazon, get the update,and manually update your kindle.
- Choose the right file from that page – there are 4 different files, 1 each for Kindle US, Kindle International, Kindle DX US, Kindle DX International.
- Download the file.
- Plug in your Kindle.
- Transfer the file to the main folder of the kindle – the one that has ‘Documents’ folder in it (along with other folders).
- Unplug your kindle after the file is transferred.
- Go to your Kindle’s Home Screen. Then press Menu, choose Settings, press Menu again, and choose Update Your Kindle.
- Let the update happen. Remember not to switch off your kindle while the update is going on.
Your Kindle will show a progress bar for the update and then will restart. Then you can try it out and see if things are faster and better.