Update: It’s 1:42 pm EST and these 2 books are still not free. They are still showing up in searches for free books – So perhaps we’ll see them free later today or early tomorrow morning.
There are two kindle books that are showing up in free searches although they aren’t yet free. In the past this has always (every single time) led to the books becoming free later in the day. So we might see these books free by sometime today (usually by 10 am) -
- Violet Dawn by Brandilyn Collins. Rated 5 stars on 47 reviews.
As a shy newcomer in the tiny tourist community of Kanner Lake, Idaho, Paige Williams is already considered reclusive by the gregarious standards of the village. But townspeople don’t realize that Paige is fleeing a past so damaging that when she discovers a dead body, she dispenses with the evidence and hides the truth rather than go to the police, whom she mistrusts.
With this opener, Collins (Dead of Night) spins a tale of murder in a smalltown with an added twist of Christian faith, which is lightly handled. One real strength is Collins’s skill in handling multiple points of view and time shifts, which flow easily together and advance the plot. Short chapterlets keep the story moving, particularly in the fast-paced final third of the novel, and Collins throws in some interesting details of police procedure and crime scene investigation.
… In all, however, this is a promising and entertaining beginning to the Kanner Lake series.
- Even Now by Karen Kingsbury. Rated 4.5 stars on 47 reviews.
The latest offering from Christian publishing phenom Kingsbury spills over with her trademark sentimentality and easy prose …
Emily Anderson – a college freshman raised by her grandparents, and about to take her first internship as a journalist. But before she can move ahead, she discovers a love story whose tragic ending came with her birth. As a result, she is drawn to look back and search out the mother she’s never met.
A young woman seeking answers to her heart’s deep questions. A man and woman separated by lies and long years. . . yet who have never forgotten each other. With hallmark tenderness and power, Karen Kingsbury weaves a tapestry of lives, losses, love, and faith – and the miracle of resurrection
Brandilyn Collins has had 2 free book offers in the Kindle Store in the past and Violet Dawn is Book 1 of the Kanner Lake series – Add up these factors with the fact that her book is showing up in free book searches and it’s very likely that it will be free soon.
We also get some more good stuff -
- A thread at the Kindle forum lists 4 Amelia Peabody novels by Elizabeth Peters that are all just $1.99. They include two new deals – The Hippopotamus Pool and the very well rated The Last Camel Died at Noon.
- Simon and Schuster has The Poison Diaries by Maryrose Wood and The Duchess of Northumberland available to read online for free.
Finally, MobileRead have some interesting deals and freebies -
- Stephanie Meyer has The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner available free to read online. The flow from that free online page to buying the book at Amazon seems as if it’s optimized to kill sales – It uses a pop-up which most pop-up blockers will kill and it has needless steps in between.
- Simon Wood has his novella/short story available in free audiobook format. It seems to be online only.
- A. J. Lath has DreamShade available free at Smashwords until July 8th, 2010. You must use code BS86Q.
- O’Reilly has a lot of coupons – 4CAST to get 50% off an ebook, MBRBG to get 1 ebook free for every ebook you buy, and MB499 to get the latest ebook version of any print book you own for just $4.99.
Finally, a thought on used and refurbished Kindle 2s.
Refurbished Kindle 2 back in stock
Refurbished Kindle 2s are now available again from Amazon – for $169. Used Kindle 2s are selling for $200+ for now.
There were articles in the main stream media talking about how Kindle owners would have to sell their Kindles for $50 and $100 and none of that has materialized. It’s simply amazing that the cheapest used Kindle 2 on Amazon is still priced pretty high. It’s perhaps even more amazing that refurbished Kindles are still going for $169.
It’s a testament to the value of the Kindle service and the strength of the platform and store that a used device is still selling for nearly 90% of the price you’d have to pay for a new device. Perhaps once Kindle 3 is out we will see prices of the used kindle 2 and refurbished kindle 2 dip.