It seems the Kindle 3 and Kindle WiFi may be set to receive a little help from Oprah – just like the Kindle 1 did in 2008.
It’s a pretty big deal.
Oprah Kindle – Dec 6 Oprah show might star Kindle
Samantha at the official Kindle Forum talks about being in the audience for the December 6 Oprah show and the entire audience getting free Kindles from Oprah.
Oprah gave the entire audience kindles on her show that will air on December 6th. I am so thankful that I was in the audience!
There might be zero truth to the claim but notice how she’s not adding on anything extreme – No Kindle 4 that talks back to you, no Kindle Phone with gesture recognition. It’s so simple it’s likely to be true – Oprah gave out Kindles and the show is airing December 6th, 2010.
There might even be more – Oprah will almost certainly endorse it as her favorite gadget and/or her favorite gift recommendation.
What would an Oprah Kindle endorsement mean?
You could make a strong argument that Oprah’s Kindle recommendation in 2008 helped transform Kindle 1 into a huge success. Given the increase in interest, traffic, and sales (the Kindle 1 sold out and stayed sold out until the Kindle 2 came out) it’d be hard to deny that Oprah’s Kindle recommendation was one of the most pivotal moments in the life of the Kindle.
An Oprah Kindle recommendation in 2010 would have an even bigger impact since the Kindle WiFi is now $139 and much evolved - a lot more people are going to be persuaded by an Oprah Kindle endorsement in 2010 (if it happens, that is).
What might happen?
Note: This is ALL speculation.
- Oprah might endorse the Kindle 3 or Kindle WiFi as her ‘new favorite gadget’ – She did it for the Kindle 1. This is extremely likely.
- Kindle 3 and Kindle WiFi, which are already out of stock in the US, might be completely sold out soon after the Oprah Kindle recommendation. That’s what happened in 2008. This is quite likely.
- There might be, though it’s extremely unlikely given Kindle demand, an Oprah Kindle discount code. In 2008 there was a $50 off discount code. It’s extremely unlikely but if there is a Kindle Oprah discount it is likely to be much less – perhaps $15 or $25 off.
- Interest in the Kindle will spike. In 2008 searches related to the Kindle spiked 487% after the Oprah Kindle mention. Here’s a post from 2008 discussing the Oprah Kindle effect. This is almost guaranteed.
- Oprah might recommend the Kindle WiFi as a great gift for the people you love – give them the gift of reading, give them a Kindle. That would have even more of an impact than a simple ‘my favorite gadget’ endorsement.
Oprah and Jeff Bezos are supposed to be good friends. That may or may not be true – However, Oprah’s Kindle endorsement on December 6th (if it happens) would be the best Christmas present Mr. Bezos could hope for.
Oprah recommending Kindle WiFi makes a ton more sense than Oprah recommending Kindle 1
Oprah Kindle 2010 makes a lot more sense than Oprah Kindle 2008 did -
- At the time of Oprah’s Kindle recommendation in 2008 the Kindle was $359 and the Oprah Kindle discount of $50 made it $309. Now the Kindle WiFi is $139 – that’s around one-third the price of the Kindle 1 and very close to the magic $100 figure.
- Oprah took a virtually unknown device and made it a known. There must have still been a lot of people who were not convinced. Right now a lot of people are on the verge of buying a Kindle or are deciding between Nook Color, Nook, Sony, iPad, iPod, and Kindle. Oprah’s recommendation will make a lot of them decide to go with the Kindle.
- At $139 the Kindle WiFi is a great choice for a gift. The $300+ Kindle 1 was probably too expensive for most people’s Christmas gift budget.
- Kindle WiFi and Kindle 3 have improved a lot since the Kindle 1. It’s a much easier sell if the device has a WebKit browser, text to speech, and up to a month of battery life.
- Kindle Store and Kindle WhisperNet have evolved a lot since 2008. Oprah can point out things like syncing across devices, 700 thousand books, and the various Kindle Apps for PCs, Macs, and other platforms.
If Oprah recommends the Kindle on December 6th, 2010 the Kindle may very well see the sort of sales spike all device manufacturers dream of.
A potential Oprah Kindle recommendation would explain why Kindle is sold out outside of US and UK. Amazon is probably saving up all its Kindle stock for the Oprah Kindle endorsement on December 6th.