Update Devices and my Reviews/Thoughts available now.
- Kindle Fire HD 8.9″ – Kindle Fire HD 8.9″. Kindle Fire HD 8.9″ Review.
- Kindle Fire HD 7″ – Kindle Fire HD 7″ at Amazon. Kindle Fire HD Review.
- Kindle Fire 2 ($159) – Kindle Fire 2 at Amazon. Kindle Fire 2 Review.
- Kindle Paperwhite – Kindle Paperwhite at Amazon. Kindle Paperwhite Review.
- Kindle Fire HD 4G LTE – Kindle Fire HD 4G LTE at Amazon. Kindle Fire HD 4G Review & Thoughts.
Live Blog – Kindle Fire 2, Kindle Phone, Kindle Touch 2, 10″ Kindle Fire Conference
Status at 3:06 pm PST: Thanks for following along. The last announcement was the Kindle Fire HD 4G LTE with its amazing data plan. 250 MB a month and 20 GB cloud storage for just $50 for the first year.
Amazon still doesn’t have links live yet. So waiting to see when links and information will go live.
Status at 2:44 pm PST: Kindle Fire HD is available in 7″ and 8.9″ models.
Status at 2:43 pm PST: The screen looks pretty amazing. Mr. Bezos is showing off a magazine and it’s very pretty. Even zoomed up it’s very clear. Will have to see it in person. But looks like a major winner so far.
Status at 2:41 pm PST: The Kindle Fire HDs look really good. Price will be critical. Can Amazon bring them in at $199/$249 and $299/$349. That would be a major win.
Status at 2:38 pm PST: Don’t know what to think of the Reading Immersion and X-Ray for Movies features. Guess some people must like such stuff. WhisperSync for Games – As if people don’t waste enough time already on games. Now they can synchronize their time wasting.
Status at 2:29 pm PST: More details on Kindle HD 8.9″. Including – very fast processor, HD screen with 1920 by 1200 resolution, double antennas, dolby digital plus, stereo speakers, 254 ppi screen, 25% less glare due to laminated touch sensor, dual WiFi.
Status at 1:53 pm PST: Kindle Paperwhite being shown. 4 years of R&D. Jeff Bezos talking about longer battery life than Nook with GlowLight. HD screen with 212 ppi. 25% more contrast. 62% more pixels (compared to Kindle Touch presumably). 9.1 mm thick.
Light = Flattened out Fiber Optic Display.
Status at 1:43 pm PST: Kindle Fire HD 8.9″ confirmed (our EXCLUSIVE scoop). So Amazon is releasing a 8.9″ Kindle Fire HD in two models – regular and 4G. The Press Conference is finally starting.
Status at 1:17 pm PST: 2 year and 3 year protection plans for Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle Paperwhite 3G are showing up at Amazon. That confirms that Kindle Touch 2 will be in WiFi and 3G versions.
Status at 1:14 pm PST: CNet has a really good Kindle Fire 2 Live Blog with Live Video. Worth a look.
Status at 1:10 pm PST – People are entering the Aeroplane Hangar. Wouldn’t it be funny if Jeff Bezos shows off an inter-planetary aeroplane instead of a Tablet. Wonder how many of the journalists would be like – Show us something meaningful like a shiny gadget we can use to impress our friends. What’s all this space travel nonsense. It’s so 1960s.
Status at 12:59 pm PST – Lots of live blogs are kicking off. I’ll be looking at the most interesting ones (Engadget, ABC (to see a non-techy perspective), The Verge (very Apple biased in an amusing & delusional sort of way), GigaOM) and writing updates.
Status at 12:52 pm PST. For all those people wondering WHY Amazon would want to get into phones, consider this – Samsung sold 20 million Galaxy SIIIs in the first 100 days of availability. Now consider this – A user with a Kindle Phone is a user who is more likely to buy EVERYTHING from Amazon. As a bonus Amazon doesn’t have to advertise and doesn’t have to pay Google for traffic and isn’t dependent on someone else. In most industries people pay $100 to $200 to $500 for a customer acquisition. If Amazon can do it by selling cheap Kindle Fires and Kindles and possibly Kindle Phones – then all the more better for it.
Status at 12:26 pm PST. We are one hour away. I’ve never seen ANY kindle event get even close to the number of live blogs. Amazon’s doing something right on the PR/Buzz front. Everyone from ABC to Engadget to Wired to Niche Blogs are doing live blogs.
This post is a Kindle Fire 2, Kindle Phone Preview PLUS Live Blog PLUS Follow-Up post.
To be Updated Tomorrow. Starting approximately 10:30 am PST.
From some Aeroplane Hanger in California we’ll find out about Kindle Fire 2 and Kindle Touch Paper White. Perhaps even about Kindle Phone.
Tomorrow, on the sixth day of September of the year 2012, Amazon is going to astonish us with how amazing the new Kindle Fire 2 and the new Kindle Phone and the new Kindle Touch are. Of course, it might also disappoint us by giving in to its incremental update gone crazy philosophy (Kaizen done wrong).
Regardless, this post will be updated continuously with the latest updates.
- Before the Conference: All the little interesting things that come up. Such as rumors of Foxconn manufacturing the Kindle Phone in the very same factories that manufacture iPhones.
- During the Conference: The Reveal. Kindle Fire 2 – Almost Certainly. Kindle Phone – perhaps. Kindle Touch with Light (aka Paper White) – Yes, undoubtedly.
- After the Conference: Details as photos and videos and oohs and aahs and ‘but it doesn’t have volume buttons’ articles show up everywhere.
Before the Kindle Fire 2, Kindle Phone Conference
12:26 pm EST Update – Shifting post format to feature actual conference at the top. It’ll be in reverse cronological order.
11:51 am EST Update (September 6th): Kobo has announced a new Tablet and a new eReader. Digital Trends has mentioned that the new Nook Tablet 2 might be out by end September (highly unlikely in my opinion) and would run Windows 8 (also highly unlikely, given Windows 8 launch date is October 28th).
12:23 am EST Live Update (September 6th): The Kindle Fire 2, what might be a Kindle Fire 10″ with a clip-on keyboard, Kindle Paperwhite Ad:
It seems possible that a 10″ Kindle Fire will be released. Awesome! Would be great to see Amazon step up to the plate and take on the Animated Page Turns Company.
11:01 pm EST Update:
- Strong Rumors (strong = lots of, not necessarily realistic) of an Amazon TV or set top box.
- Claims that a Kindle Phone is confirmed. The Verge has a photo of a supposed Kindle phone that is showing the Amazon Android App Store. Has it fallen again for a photoshopped fake?
- Amongst the comments at The Verge is the hypothesis that Amazon might try to be its own carrier and push a low priced Smartphone. Sounds logical. However, it also sounds awfully brave.
I do think that a Kindle Phone will be called Kindle Blaze.
The most interesting tidbits that have been revealed in the last week or so -
- Dual Screen Kindle Phone - the top highly unlikely and yet highly appealing rumor.
- Logs showing a Kindle Fire KFTT with Android 4.0.3 as OS (Ice Cream Sandwich). Will Kindle Fire 2 be using Android 4.0.3? What does the TT in KFTT stand for. Triple Touch?
- B&N Nook Tablet 2 with 243 dpi screen (which would mean amazing clarity). Interesting how B&N leaks this information one day before the Kindle Fire 2 Announcement.
- Kindle Fire 2 $149 model with Ads looking more and more likely.
- Kindle Fire 2 with specs matching Google’s Nexus 7 Tablet.
- Kindle Fire 2 with dual screens on opposite sides – eInk on one side, LCD on the other.
- Foldable Kindle Fire 2.
- Stuff.tv lets us know that a Kindle Phone is likely as Foxconn has probably been tasked with making one and Amazon has been hiring Windows Phone executives.
We cover Kindle Fire 2 Rumors extensively in our Kindle Fire 2, Nook Tablet 2 Predictions post.
After the Kindle Fire 2, Kindle Phone Conference
Kindle Fire 2 Analysis, Review of Kindle Fire 2 Features. Thoughts on Kindle Phone (if announced).
So bookmark this page and check back tomorrow at 10:30 am PST (or anytime after that).