Kindle PaperWhite (Kindle Touch 2) is now available at Amazon.
Kindle Paperwhite is $119. Kindle Paperwhite 3G is $179. Kindle WiFi is now only $69.
Kindle Touch 2 Features Review – Top 10 Kindle Touch 2 Features
- $119 Price. Significantly undercuts Nook GlowLight ($139).
- Free 3G with $179 Kindle Paperwhite 3G model.
- In-built Light – eInk eReaders were always great for reading during the day and in bright sunlight. The addition of the front light to Kindle Touch 2 (Kindle PaperWhite) makes it great for reading at night too. Mr. Bezos said that Amazon spent 4 years developing the technology (perhaps they should have devoted that time to color eInk, adding page turn buttons, and adding proper folders).
- Adjustable Screen Brightness. Illuminates the screen evenly. Supposedly throws light only towards the screen and not at your eyes.
- Improved Screen – 25% better contrast and 62% more pixels does sound good. 212 ppi is very impressive.
- Better Battery Life – Two months of reading half an hour per day with the light on is impressive. It translates to 30 hours or so of non-stop reading.
- Lighter and More Compact – 9.1 mm. 7.5 ounces. Even the bezel is thinner.
- Available for Preorder today. Link isn’t live yet. Ships October 1st.
- Hand-tuned Fonts. There are 6 font styles and 8 font sizes. Will have to see Kindle Paperwhite in person to see whether these are as promised.
There’s a new Time to Read feature which tells you how long each book and chapter will take to finish. It customizes itself to your reading habits. Sounds like a cool feature – will have to see how it is in real life before making a call.
Kindle Touch 2 Features Review – Specifications
Missing items will be updated as and when Amazon reveals them.
- Price – $119.
- You can also get Free 3G with the $179 Kindle Paperwhite 3G model.
- Screen – 212 ppi. HD screen. 62% more pixels than Kindle Touch. 25% better contrast.
- Processor – No details.
- RAM – No details.
- Memory – 2 GB on memory, 1.25 GB available for user content.
- WiFi – 802.11 b/g/n.
- Touch – 2 point multi-touch.
- Formats Supported – Kindle Format 8 (AZW3), Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively. HTML, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion.
- Text to Speech – If Publishers enable it for their books.
- Power Adapter – Not included. USB charging cable.
- USB Port – No. Just a microUSB charging port.
- Weight – 7.5 ounces (213 grams). The 3G+WiFi model is 7.8 ounces.
- Dimensions – 9.1 mm thick. 6.7″ by 4.6″ by 0.36″.
Kindle Touch 2 Thoughts
Amazon has taken its sweet time to release its rival to the Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight. However, it’s done a great job.
You can read TechCrunch’s thoughts on Kindle Touch 2 (Kindle Paperwhite).
What are my favorite 5 features of the Kindle Touch 2?
- There’s a Light. Not sure why it took 4 years of R&D. Adjustable brightness and even illumination are good features – nice to see Amazon match B&N’s Nook with GlowLight.
- Price of $119 is great. The availability of 3G model is also a good touch.
- Screen improvements are great. Need to dig in more into the whole HD thing. Screen does look very white.
What are things I don’t like about the Kindle Touch 2?
- No Page Turn Buttons.
- More as more information is revealed.
Is the $119 Kindle Paperwhite (Kindle Touch 2) the best eReader available. Yes, in my opinion. Of course, I have to actually use it to confirm.