The Kindle 2 will be available for $89 starting tomorrow at 9 am Pacific Standard Time (12 noon Eastern Standard Time).
It’s an amazing deal for a very good Kindle that comes with free 3G access to the Kindle Store and to the Internet (although on a basic browser). The part that’s worrying is Amazon saying ‘there are a limited number of Kindle 2s available’.
Amazon had a Woot deal earlier in the year that sold between 3,000 and 4,000 Kindles. The Black Friday deal probably has between 10,000 and 100,000 Kindle 2s available. If it’s the former they might get sold out in an hour or two.
This post will discuss everything you can and should do to make sure you get the Kindle deal – If you’re interested in it, that is.
Have everything ready BEFORE 9 am PST
Please Note: There is no Kindle 2 available yet at the Kindle 2 product page so you can’t add it to your cart ahead of time.
Here are the things that you should have in place if you’re buying from home -
- If you’re buying the Kindle 2 for yourself set up 1-Click buying and make sure your address and credit card information are correct.
- You could optionally save the Kindle 2 product page as a browser bookmark or leave it open in your browser.
- This blog will send out a reminder post at 8:57 am PST so you could subscribe if you’ll be checking your email.
- If it’s a gift make sure the person’s address is correct and your payment information is correct.
- Think through things and make a decision.
If you click-through at 8:57 am or 9 am PST and order instantly you should definitely be able to get the Kindle 2. By 10 am PST it might be too late.
Here are the things you can do if you’ll be out shopping tomorrow morning -
- Set up 1-click buying and check your address and payment information.
- Set the Kindle 2 product page as a bookmark or better yet leave it open in your phone’s browser.
- Have some idea of where you’ll be at 9 am PST.
Which brings us to the actual day and time of the kindle deal.
Be Available at 8:55 am PST and Buy the Kindle immediately
- If you’re at home – Set an alarm for 9 am PST.
- If you’re out shopping – Set an alarm for 8:45 am PST so you can find a place with good wireless coverage and make your order.
- If you’re awake early check out Amazon at 8 am PST – the deal might be up early.
- Order as soon as possible – You can always cancel the order or return the Kindle 2.
- If you’re gifting – After making the order it might be a good idea to make sure the person didn’t get a Kindle or Nook themselves. That way you can cancel the order before it ships and get them something else.
Finally, there’s the question of whether this deal is worth it.
Should you buy the $89 Kindle 2?
- If you can afford the $139 Kindle WiFi or $189 Kindle 3 they are better and use the new eInk Pearl screen.
- If you can’t decide between $139 Kindle WiFi and $89 Kindle 2 pick the former.
- If you’re sending one as a gift keep in mind that they’ll know it was a $89 Black Friday deal.
- Kindle 2 at $89 is the best value for money.
- It’s not the best eReader. It is better than Nook 1 but Kindle WiFi and Kindle 3 are better.
- If you want to get a Kindle just to have a dedicated eReader and you read 1 book a month or less - it’s perfect.
- If you read a lot – Kindle WiFi would be better.
- If you already own a Kindle 1 – Kindle 2 is definitely better and you get the new software features like Folders and access to all the new Kindle Apps and Games.
- If you own any other Kindle or Nook – It’s not worth getting a Kindle 2 since it’s just doing most of the same stuff.
- If you have an iPad the $89 Kindle 2 is a nice add-on device to have.
Hopefully all this information helps you make a good decision.
The $89 Kindle 2 is a great deal and if you’re interested it’s well worth it to put in a bit of preparation and make sure you get it.