Posted on October 2, 2009 by switch11
First, the free book -
The Templar Legacy by Steve Berry. Its shot to #3 in the Kindle bestsellers list.
The Templar Legacy - Free
Speaking of #3 on the bestsellers list brings us to a potential Kindle Store improvement.
The Case to add a Top Grossing Kindle Books List and/or a Paid Books List
Playing around with the recent addition of the Top Grossing Apps List in the iPhone and it makes a ton of sense to include such a list in the Kindle Store.
With iPhone Apps you now have -
- Top Paid Apps
- Top Free Apps
- Top Grossing Apps
- Staff Picks
- New and Noteworthy
- What’s Hot
In the Kindle Store we have -
- An overall Bestsellers list.
- Movers and Shakers
- How New Releases (which isn’t very up to date).
The single Bestsellers list does not work.
Lets look at what we had on 29th September -
- 51 free books in the Top 100 bestsellers.
- 1 book at 1 cent.
- 2 books that are less than $5.
And what we have today -
- 8 of the top 10 bestsellers are free books.
- 47 of the Top 100 are free books.
- There’s one 1 cent book.
This obviously is an unfair rating because an Author selling a ton of books at $9.99 deserves a much better ranking than a public domain book getting downloaded at $0. For that matter, an author selling a book at $2.99 and one selling a book at $9.99 are generating completely different amounts of revenue and there ought to be a list to show that.
All Amazon has to do is -
- Add Top Paid Books Lists as a separate list.
- Add Top Paid Book Lists for each category.
- Add a Top Grossing List.
It would be nice to get a Top Independent Authors List too.
Will Amazon add Paid Bestseller Lists?
It’s hard to say. At some point of time they’ll have to.
Until then we’re taking some deserving authors and hiding them from readers.
Filed under: free books | Tagged: free book | Leave a comment »
Posted on August 3, 2009 by switch11
4:14 pm Update: Kindle Buy 1 Get 1 Free book offer – Buy Brian Haig’s Secret Sanction and receive a free download of Mortal Allies.
August continues to see free kindle book offers.
Free Books for Kindle – 3 from Suvudu Free Library
Suvudu Free Library has said it’ll release 3 free books on August 3rd -
On Monday I will be updating the Free Library with three new titles, one of which is easily one of my favorite novels.
The ones available now are -
- Brass Bed by Jennifer Stevenson.
Brass Bed - Free for Your Kindle
- Update: Unfortunately, it seems that The Briar King and Queen of the Orcs which we’ve talked about before are the other two free Suvudu books.
The Suvudu gentleman thinks The Briar King by Greg Keyes is one of the best books he’s ever read. And the reviews certainly indicate that. And you have Queen of the Orcs: King’s Property as the third free book from Suvudu.
Another free book from Oprah
Books on the Knob had the scoop on this - Oprah is giving away a PDF copy of ‘Let the Great World Spin’ by Colum McCann. It’s a free download for 48 hrs starting August 3rd, Monday, 11 am.
Another free book from Oprah
What Oprah has to say -
On Monday, August 3, 2009, Random House will offer Colum McCann’s new novel, Let the Great World Spin, as a free download for 48 hours exclusively on Oprah.com. The book will be available for download from 11 a.m. ET Monday until 10:59 a.m. ET Wednesday August 5, 2009.
Oprah.com membership will be required to download your copy.
Filed under: free books | Tagged: free book, kindle oprah | Leave a comment »
Posted on July 6, 2009 by switch11
First, lets look at two free books in Kindle format you can get from Feedbooks -
- Gone by Bryan W. Alaspa. For some strange reason he’s only got it on Feedbooks.
- Beautiful Red by M. Darusha Wehm. Someone is actually illegally selling this book in the Kindle Store and the author is in the process of getting it removed from there.
Next, let’s look at something called the World eBook Fair. This site usually has a $8.95 a year membership (a devilishly brilliant idea) based off of free public domain books. From July 4th until August 4th, they have all their books free in PDF format -
- Their biggest source, The Internet Archive, is something you can access directly to download text versions that don’t need conversion for Kindle 2.
- The World eBook Fair site itself. Its confusing – just scroll down to reach the search fields. The books are all in PDF format.
Finally, two kindle deals I’ve mentioned before (however the official Kindle blog is referencing the second in a post of its own so it might be worth a second look) -
- $1.99 romance novel – Seducing a Scottish Bride by Sue-Ellen Welfonder.
- Purchase Secret Speech (Tom Rob Smith) and get Child 44 free.
Malcolm Gladwell Vs Chris Anderson on Viability of Free
Though I’m firmly on the side of Malcolm Gladwell i.e. free is not a viable model, the actual behavior of authors trying to get attention in the Kindle Store seems to be tending towards -
Do anything to get attention and a competitive advantage – to the point of giving away books for free.
If it weren’t for Amazon’s $1 price limit, every independent author would be giving away their books for free. And every publisher would be introducing 2-3 day free offers and withdrawing them as soon as the books hit the top 25 in sales rank.
Very large markets in general, and the Internet in particular, create a few conditions -
- A huge customer base which is very tempting.
- An opportunity for People to give away their valuable products for competitive advantage.
- An opportunity for People to give away their products because of their belief systems.
- Everyone being forced to compete under this system.
Its creating a downward pressure on prices and its going to start affecting book prices more and more in the coming years.
Filed under: free books | Tagged: free book, kindle deal | 1 Comment »
Posted on June 21, 2009 by switch11
From 21st June to July 7th, Traci Hall’s ‘Her Wiccan, Wiccan Ways’ is free (that’s two weeks).
Free for 2 weeks - Her Wiccan, Wiccan Ways
Filed under: free books | Tagged: free book, free kindle book | Leave a comment »
Posted on June 15, 2009 by switch11
First - Amazon has added a new section called ‘Featured Books for Kindle DX’ to the Kindle Store. They’re putting a pretty big emphasis on -
- Highly formatted reference books (like computer programming books).
- Travel Guides that feature lots of maps and images.
- Comics and Graphic Novels.
- They’re featuring a digital photography book too.
Featured Books, Kindle DX
Interesting as the rumors of the July 1st addition of a Kindle Textbook Store seem likelier.
Its interesting to see that Amazon has two Kindle DX related initiatives in the Kindle Store now -
- The little ‘Optimized for Kindle DX’ tag that certain books have.
- This ‘Featured Books for Kindle DX’ section of the Kindle Store.
Second - Some free books and a $1 book deal:
- Samhain Publishing, the people who brought you Dead Man’s Rain for free yesterday, will have two more books up soon (will post individual posts those days so you don’t necessarily have to mark your calendar)-
21st June to July 7th, Traci Hall’s ‘Her Wiccan, Wiccan Ways’ will be free for two weeks.
ISBN: B001892DDO. Genre: Young Adult.
June 28th to July 4th, Dee Tenorio’s ‘Kiss Me Again’ will be free for a week.
ISBN: B001CMQ7BQ. Genre: Contemporary Romance
- Robin Sloan of Current TV has a free short story (online, in kindle compatible .prc format, or buy it for $0.80 at the Kindle Store). Rather interestingly, its named Mr. Penumbra’s Twenty-Four-Hour Book Store. A 24 hour book-store – what a novel concept ;) .
- Alan Baxter is putting his money where his mouth is and offering up one of his books for $1 (at the Kindle Store they’re $3.59, $15 in paper) -
If you want to read RealmShift as an ebook, go to the Smashwords page right now and you can buy a copy for the discounted price of $1 by entering this code at the checkout stage: TM99.
- Then we have Simoleon Sense linking to a free book – 10 Great Economists from Marx To Keynes (As PDF, courtesy Mises.Org).
Do let me know if you find some good free book or even a $1 or $2 kindle book that’s worthwhile.
Filed under: free books, kindle dx | Tagged: free book, kindle dx books | 1 Comment »