Posted on August 26, 2010 by switch11
It seems the Kindle 3 has already arrived for some people.
Well, mine got here about an hour ago which is quite ridiculous since it was shipped yesterday and the shipped email arrived only last evening. There are at least two people on the official kindle forum who’ve received their Kindle 3 and a few who have their Kindle 3 ‘out for delivery’.
My K3 and the two covers I ordered for it are out for delivery,
Oh, yeah! My new one comes today! One day before the official release day!
mine’s out for delivery too! Funny that my K3 is coming via Fedex and my case is coming via UPS.
Hopefully, you get your Kindle 3 soon.
What’s going on with the various Kindle Shipping Waves?
There are enough people with supposed later Kindle 3 shipping dates who are getting their Kindle 3 early to make one wonder –
- Is Amazon just exceeding expectations and shipping earlier?
- Were the delays just a safety measure to make sure Amazon could deliver on time?
- Did Amazon just mess up?
Consider a few examples (all from the official kindle forum) -
UPS just delivered my Kindle 3-ordered 7/28 with free 2 day shipping-wifi & 3G-graphite
Ordered 2nd week in August (the 15th of August IIRC), am prime. Delivery estimate: August 27th.
3rd waver here – ordered 8/14. Delivery estimate is 8/27 after I got antsy and switched to one-day shipping
It’s all very strange – Why are some people, who ordered very early, still waiting for a shipping email while other people, with later Kindle 3 orders, are already getting their Kindle 3s? If people are getting their Kindle 3s much earlier than the supposed ship dates why is the current Kindle 3 ship date (for new orders) listed as September 17th?
It seems that Amazon has sold so many Kindle 3s that it’s having a hard time coordinating the Kindle 3 ship dates. As long as people don’t get their Kindle 3 later than promised it’s not really an issue.
Filed under: kindle 3 | Tagged: kindle 3 ship date | 52 Comments »
Posted on August 25, 2010 by switch11
The Kindle 3 will be shipped out today. It seems that today, August 25th, is the new Kindle 3 shipping date.
This is great as it probably ought to mean we get Kindle 3 before the weekend. Amazon has a press release touting how well Kindle 3 is selling -
- It’s the fastest selling Kindle ever.
Actually, that’s the only interesting data point in the entire Press Release. Notice how it reveals nothing concrete since no one knows how many Kindles have sold in the past.
There are 50 different sentences to convey that one solitary fact. The good part is Amazon ships out Kindle 3 early enough to get it into most people’s hands in time for the weekend and that’s appreciated.
Find out more about the Kindle 3
If the fact that it’s sold more than previous Kindles despite the perceived threat of the Pretend-eReader impresses you please feel free to take a look at -
- A detailed Kindle 3 Review.
- Kindle 3 Review Videos Page.
- Kindle 3 Photo Pages List.
Now, let’s turn back to the Press Release because it seems a bit superfluous until you dissect all the things it’s doing.
Why the ‘Kindle 3 is best selling Kindle ever’ Press Release makes some amount of sense
Amazon has realized it’s mostly fighting a perception war against the iPad and the press release does a few things -
- It lets people know that the Kindle 3 isn’t just artificially ‘sold out for 3 weeks’. By stating a somewhat firm fact (i.e. best selling Kindle ever) Amazon is clearly saying – The iPad hasn’t killed us or even hurt us much.
- It’s a chance to highlight the Kindle 3’s features and you get the standard, bland write-up. Here’s an alternate write-up Amazon should consider -
50% better contrast so your romance novel covers look brilliant.
Page turns that are fast enough so you can get people who don’t read books to shut up about how they could never read on anything that takes almost as much time to turn a page as a real physical book.
So much battery life you can keep forgetting to charge it, so light even faeries can use it, and WiFi if you’re sick of AT&T’s spotty coverage.
- Amazon gets to add-on that the big magazines and sites absolutely loved the Kindle. It’s impressive that they manage to not mention that Wired gave Kindle 3 a 9/10.
- It can try to convince people to stop calling it the Kindle 3. Good luck with that. Here’s Fast Company’s take on it -
Amazon’s newest Kindle (simply called “Kindle,” though it’s sometimes referred to as the “Kindle 3″)
- Amazon gets to talk about how it’s shipping Kindles to 125 countries on six continents including Mongolia and Northern Mariana Islands. Don’t know about you – my list of countries of the world just expanded by one.
Haven’t you heard about the Northern Mariana Islands?
Wonderful place – It’s right by the Mariana Trench and the people there are mad about books.
- We find out we now have 670,000 books in the Kindle Store of which 235,000 were added in the last 7 months.
- People get to hear about the whole ‘Buy Once, Read Anywhere’ aspect of the Kindle ecosystem.
It’s still disconcertingly free of any new data points. However, it isn’t entirely a waste.
MediaMemo get bonus points for putting a photograph of The Flash in an article talking about the Kindle 3 being the best-selling Kindle ever. It’s probably the most unintentionally inappropriate illustration ever.
Filed under: availability | Tagged: kindle 3 release date, kindle 3 ship date | 17 Comments »